In Columbus Ohio, urologic surgeon Dr. Chris McClung performs urethral reconstruction to remove urethral strictures (narrowing of the urethra), which can affect your ability to urinate. When the narrowing becomes severe, surgery becomes necessary.
Compared to other surgical techniques, urethral reconstruction (or urethroplasty) has superior outcomes.
What causes the urethra to become constricted?
- Straddle injury
- Pelvic bone fracture and urethral tear
- Lichen sclerosus (LS) (or balanitis xerotica oblitarans (BXO))
- Hypospadias surgery
- Urologic procedures (catheters, prostate surgery)
Signs of urethral stricture:
- Weak urine stream
- Sudden urges to pee
- Incomplete bladder emptying
- Painful urination
- Urinary tract infection
- Urethrotomy (endoscopic procedure or urethral dilation)
- Meatotomy (for short strictures near the tip of the penis)
- Perineal Urethrostomy, a surgery to bypass the stricture (This is generally reserved for extensive stricture disease)
- Urethroplasty, a surgery to remove or rebuild scarred urethral tissue
Urethral reconstruction should only be performed by a highly skilled specialist like Dr. McClung, who completed fellowship training in urologic reconstruction. Call (614) 268-2323 now to schedule a consultation with Dr. McClung in Columbus, Ohio or request one online.